Get ready for hurricane season!
- Natural gas is injected with a distinct odor, which many people equate to that of rotten eggs. If the odor of gas is present, immediately leave the affected area and call the 24-hour emergency response line, at 1-877-427-4321 from a safe location.
- Residents should never try to identify the source of a leak themselves.
- If the odor of gas is present, do not use a telephone or cellular phone, turn light switches on or off, operate any appliance or do anything that might cause a spark, such as a lighting a match.
- Before removing downed trees, customers should dial the 8-1-1 hotline to have the location of underground utility lines because downed trees could become tangled with the natural gas lines.
- Customers are encouraged to know how to locate their natural gas meter.
- During a weather emergency, ensure the gas meter is visible, and the area surrounding the meter is free of trash and debris. Mechanical equipment used after the storm to clean-up a location may damage the meter if it is hidden.
- If a natural gas meter is damaged or gas line is exposed, immediately leave the area and call the Atlanta Gas Light 24-hour emergency response number at 1-877-427-4321.
- Customers are advised to leave their natural gas service on during a hurricane or severe storm. Most gas appliances have safety valves that shut off the flow of gas automatically if the pilot light goes out.
- If flooding occurs at a residence or business and the gas appliances are under water, do not try to operate the appliances. Contact Atlanta Gas Light or a qualified service professional to conduct a safety inspection.
AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS) is an Atlanta-based energy services holding company with operations in natural gas distribution, retail operations, wholesale services, midstream operations and cargo shipping. As the nation’s largest natural gas-only distributor based on customer count, AGL Resources serves approximately 4.5 million utility customers through its regulated distribution subsidiaries in seven states. The company also serves more than 1 million retail customers through its SouthStar Energy Services joint venture and Nicor National, which markets natural gas and related home services. Other non-utility businesses include asset management for natural gas wholesale customers through Sequent Energy Management, ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities, and ownership of Tropical Shipping, one of the largest containerized cargo carriers serving the Bahamas and Caribbean region. AGL Resources is a member of the S&P 500 Index. For more information, visit www.aglresources.com.
Kristie Swink Benson