Atlanta Gas Light Advises Customers on Natural Gas Safety and Weatherization Tips
ATLANTA – Jan. 5, 2015 – With potentially low temperatures expected by mid-week, Atlanta Gas Light is encouraging residents to take the proper steps to protect their families and themselves, and offering affordable and simple weatherization tips to stay warm and comfortable.
Below are recommended guidelines associated with natural gas safety:
- If customers suspect carbon monoxide is present in their home or business, they should immediately leave the area and call 9-1-1 from a safe location.
- Residents are encouraged to immediately seek medical attention if anyone in their home or business experiences possible symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, including the following:
- If customers suspect they have a natural gas leak, leave the area immediately and call 1-877-427-4321 from a safe location. Customers are advised not to use any defective natural gas appliance until it has been inspected, serviced and determined to be safe by a qualified plumber or heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) professional.
- Customers should never use natural gas appliances, such as the burners on a stove or ovens to heat their homes or businesses.
- Residents should make sure their heating system, water heater and any other natural gas appliances are serviced and inspected annually by a qualified professional.
Atlanta Gas Light also is offering simple and easy steps to weatherize a home or business:
- Open curtains during the day to allow sunlight to naturally heat your home, and close them at night to reduce the chill you may feel from cold windows.
- Keep furniture, drapes, stuffed animals and other objects from blocking your heating sources.
- Caulk and weather-strip drafty doors and windows. Use a heavy-duty, clear plastic sheet on a frame or tape clear plastic film to the inside of your window frames during the cold winter months. Make sure the plastic is sealed tightly to the frame to help reduce infiltration.
- Caulk and seal air leaks where plumbing, ducting, or electrical wiring penetrates through exterior walls, floors and ceilings. Install insulated gaskets behind outlet and switch plates on exterior walls to prevent drafts.
About Atlanta Gas Light
Atlanta Gas Light, a wholly owned subsidiary of AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS), provides natural gas delivery service to more than 1.5 million customers in Georgia. In operation since 1856, the company is one of the oldest corporations in the state. For more information, visit www.atlantagaslight.com.
About AGL Resources
AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS) is an Atlanta-based energy services holding company with operations in natural gas distribution, retail operations, wholesale services and midstream operations. AGL Resources serves approximately 4.5 million utility customers through its regulated distribution subsidiaries in seven states. The company also serves approximately 630,000 retail energy customers and approximately 1.2 million customer service contracts through its SouthStar Energy Services joint venture and Pivotal Home Solutions, which market natural gas and related home services. Other non-utility businesses include asset management for natural gas wholesale customers through Sequent Energy Management and ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities. AGL Resources is a member of the S&P 500 Index. For more information, visit www.aglresources.com.