Atlanta Gas Light and DeKalb County Open Public CNG Station in Decatur
ATLANTA – April 7, 2016 – Atlanta Gas Light and the DeKalb County Sanitation Division opened the second county-owned public compressed natural gas (CNG) fueling station. This DeKalb Fuels station will serve as a fueling site for DeKalb’s CNG refuse trucks and will be accessible to other commercial and privately-owned vehicles in the area. The station, located at 3720 Leroy Scott Drive, Decatur, Ga., will be the site of a grand-opening celebration on Thursday, April 14, at 2 p.m.
“Atlanta Gas Light applauds DeKalb County’s ongoing progress in converting its fleet to clean, domestically produced natural gas,” said Bryan Batson, president of Atlanta Gas Light. “We are proud of our partnership with DeKalb and pleased they chose to develop this station under our CNG Infrastructure Program.”
The DeKalb Fuels station is conveniently located near the busy I-285/Memorial Drive interchange in Decatur, Ga. The station features two dispensers with three standard size fueling hoses and one transit size hose, with plenty of accessibility for CNG vehicles of all sizes, including semitractor –trailers. The first county-owned CNG public fueling station, located at the DeKalb County Seminole Road Landfill, opened in 2012.
The following are other CNG stations built under the Atlanta Gas Light Universal Service Fund (USF) CNG Infrastructure Program:
• 323 Cash Memorial Blvd., Forest Park (Premier Transportation)
• 1120 North Ave. (City of Atlanta)
• 128 Claire Dr. (City of Atlanta)
• 2880 State Route 49, Oglethorpe (Flint River Fuel Center)
• 401 O'Leary Rd. (Colonial Group, Inc., through its Enmarket subsidiary) – Coming Soon
• 1628 James P. Rodgers Dr., Valdosta (Langdale Fuel)
Approved by the Georgia Public Service Commission (PSC) in 2012, the Atlanta Gas Light CNG Infrastructure Program is designed to expand public access to CNG fueling infrastructure throughout the state and enhance Georgia’s role in the emerging CNG market in the southeastern U.S.
The program allows Atlanta Gas Light to contract with public entities or private companies and invest proceeds from the USF to install fueling equipment at CNG stations. Prospective station developers must provide land for the station and demonstrate the ability to meet a minimum annual sales volume over a five-year period to participate in the program. Developers pay Atlanta Gas Light for use and maintenance of the equipment at PSC approved rates and sell CNG to the public at market-based prices.
More information on AGL’s CNG rates and programs can be found at www.atlantagaslight.com/natural-gas-vehicles. For information about natural gas safety, visit www.atlantagaslight.com/safety.
About Atlanta Gas Light
Atlanta Gas Light, a wholly owned subsidiary of AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS), provides natural gas delivery service to more than 1.5 million customers in Georgia. In operation since 1856, the company is one of the oldest corporations in the state. For more information, visit www.atlantagaslight.com.
About AGL Resources
AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS) is an Atlanta-based energy services holding company which owns and operates natural gas utilities, as well as retail energy and services, wholesale services and midstream businesses. AGL Resources serves approximately 4.5 million utility customers through its regulated distribution subsidiaries in seven states. The company also serves more than one million retail customers through its SouthStar Energy Services joint venture and Pivotal Home Solutions, which market natural gas and related home services. Other non-utility businesses include asset management for natural gas wholesale customers through Sequent Energy Management and ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities. AGL Resources is a Fortune 500 company and a member of the S&P 500 Index. For more information, visit www.aglresources.com.
Kristie Benson, APR