ATLANTA – Oct. 30, 2017 – Every family deserves reliable energy at a price they can afford. As Georgians prepare for fall temperatures, Atlanta Gas Light is committed to the communities we serve and is sharing resources with customers who may need help paying their winter heating bills.
The following agencies provide energy assistance for those who qualify:
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) helps eligible customers pay for their winter heating service and also may cover certain cooling expenses for customers with specific medical conditions. Eligibility is based on household size and income.
- Early enrollment for seniors and people with disabilities will begin on Nov. 1, 2017, and general enrollment begins Dec. 1, 2017.
- Applications for all energy assistance programs can be made through a local Community Action Agency or non-profit organization. The assistance is available in all 159 counties in Georgia.
- If a participant qualified for LIHEAP last year, he or she must reapply by submitting the state recertification form, along with all other required documents, to their local agency.
For more information about Georgia LIHEAP, call 1-877-423-4746 or visit http://dfcs.dhs.georgia.gov/energy-assistance for a list of other resources.
- H.E.A.T – The Georgia Department of Human Services (DHS) distributes Heating Energy Assistance Team (H.E.A.T.) funds statewide through local community action agencies. H.E.A.T. funds assist households experiencing a potential loss of energy service or households that are in need of getting service restored. Customers can visit www.heatga.org or call 678-406-0212 to discuss eligibility.
- Senior Discount program – Atlanta Gas Light will provide eligible senior citizens with a discount of $14 a month on their natural gas bills.The monthly discount is reflected on the bill they receive from their natural gas provider. For more information on eligibility, please contact your provider.
- Hope Works (formerly Resource Service Ministries) – HopeWorks helps low-income widows in the greater-Atlanta area with weatherization assistance for homes, gas furnace repairs and general maintenance. For more information, call 404-872-0167 or visit www.hopeworks4us.org.
- United Way – Customers can call United Way’s 2-1-1 number for a listing of other agencies that can assist with available funding.
Natural gas customers also can take additional action to prepare for the winter heating season by doing the following:
- Install a programmable thermostat. A programmable thermostat allows customers to set the temperature in their home while they are away and increase the temperature when they return.
- Inspect windows and doors for drafts. Use caulk or sealant to insulate areas where a draft might be felt.
- Open drapes and shades. Using sunlight is a great way to naturally heat the home during the day.
- Close the flue to the fireplace. Closing the flue will prevent warm air from escaping the home.
For more energy efficiency tips, please visit www.atlantagaslight.com.
About Atlanta Gas Light
Atlanta Gas Light is one of seven natural gas distribution companies of Southern Company Gas, a wholly owned subsidiary of Southern Company (NYSE: SO). Atlanta Gas Light provides natural gas delivery service to more than 1.6 million customers in Georgia. In operation since 1856, the company is one of the oldest corporations in the state. For more information, visit atlantagaslight.com.
About Southern Company Gas
Southern Company Gas is a wholly owned subsidiary of Atlanta-based Southern Company (NYSE:SO), America’s premier energy company. Southern Company Gas serves approximately 4.6 million natural gas utility customers through its regulated distribution companies in seven states and more than 1 million retail customers through its companies that market natural gas and related home services. Other nonutility businesses include investments in interstate pipelines, asset management for natural gas wholesale customers and ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities. For more information, visit Southern Company Gas at southerncompanygas.com.
o: 404.584.4165 | c: 404.387.8067 | firstname.lastname@example.org