Seasonal Heating Equipment Checkups
Make sure your furnace stays in winter-ready condition. We recommend an annual inspection by a qualified contractor, which should include:
- Making sure the blower bearings and blower motor are lubricated according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Visually inspecting all vents, heat exchanger, and motor.
- Clearing the furnace area of any dust or combustible materials.
- Testing the thermostat.
- Cleaning dust from the blower compartment.
- Checking the flue to make sure it’s clean and open.
- Checking the pilot light, if your furnace has one.
Here are some things you can do:
- Have appliances are professionally installed and serviced.
- Ensure your appliances are well ventilated. In particular, check the venting of your water heating system.
- The gas flame in your appliances should burn a healthy bright blue or blue-orange, never a sluggish yellow.
- If a pilot light goes out, follow the manufacturer’s instructions for relighting: turn off the appliance and allow any accumulated natural gas to vent before relighting.
Find a contractor in your area who can help you.