Skip to main content.

Atlanta Gas Light never stops working for customers and communities

One year of safe and reliable natural gas delivery during pandemic recognized on Natural Gas Utility Workers’ Day, March 18

ATLANTA – March 18, 2021 – For many, the working world changed a year ago in March, but for Atlanta Gas Light employees, the commitment to deliver clean safe, reliable and affordable natural gas never stopped. Utility workers are essential personnel, and whether in the field or office, Atlanta Gas Light employees continued to fuel customers’ homes and businesses during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Nearly 60% of employees across the Southern Company Gas enterprise, including those working at Atlanta Gas Light, have continued to report to work in a variety of first responder and field positions, while the remaining 40% of personnel have continued to work remotely until further notice, including 87% of customer contact center representatives. There were no company workforce reductions during the pandemic for Atlanta Gas Light employees, who worked diligently during the pandemic to deliver safe and reliable natural gas. In fact, Atlanta Gas Light hired more than 100 new employees last year to help keep our system safe.


“In more ways than one, this past year was a reflection of resilience in the face of crisis as we all navigated through the impacts of COVID-19,” said Pedro Cherry, president and CEO of Atlanta Gas Light. “Across the nation, utility workers adjusted to new guidelines to continue safely serving customers, but their work never stopped. Their adaptability and flexibility to respond to increased demands is worthy of recognition on Natural Gas Utility Workers’ Day.”


Natural Gas Utility Workers’ Day is organized annually by the American Public Gas Association to recognize the employees who work to ensure the essential energy source is distributed safely.


Field employees across all Southern Company Gas local distribution companies, including Atlanta Gas Light, completed more than 1.7 million service and emergency work orders in the past year, some of which required the entry of homes and businesses with customers who were COVID-19 suspected or confirmed. COVID-19 job aids and other supplemental materials, as well as PPE including gloves, masks and sanitizer, were acquired to keep employees, customers and communities safe.


While Atlanta Gas Light continued to help minimize community health impacts, it also addressed economic hardships in the communities it serves by providing more than $1 million toward supplemental low-income energy assistance in Georgia to support customers who needed help paying natural gas bills, repairing or replacing natural gas appliances and weathering homes.

Additional resources extended to customers in need through our employees’ generosity and corporate partnerships include:

  • More than 20,000 pounds of food and over $5,000 in donations were collected from employees and neighbors to benefit 14 Georgia foodbanks to help curb the escalation of food insecurity in communities due to impacts of COVID-19.
  • More than 200 brand-new winter coats were distributed to children from low-income families through a partnership with Operation Warm.
  • In partnership with Shipt, Atlanta Gas Light coordinated with the state’s natural gas marketers to provide food and household essentials to customers.
  • Together with its employees, Atlanta Gas Light contributed approximately $110,000 in grants to the United Way to benefit hundreds of community partners throughout Georgia.

“We have lived with the realities of COVID-19 for over a year now,” Cherry said. “As challenging as the experience has been, Atlanta Gas Light remains dedicated to continuing our longstanding commitment to meeting the needs of our customers and communities.”

For information visit



About Atlanta Gas Light
Atlanta Gas Light is one of four natural gas distribution companies of Southern Company Gas, a wholly owned 

subsidiary of Southern Company (NYSE: SO). Atlanta Gas Light provides natural gas delivery service to more than 1.6 million customers in Georgia. In operation since 1856, the company is one of the oldest corporations in the state. For more information, visit and

About Southern Company Gas
Southern Company Gas is a wholly owned subsidiary of Atlanta-based Southern Company (NYSE:SO), America’s premier energy company. Southern Company Gas serves approximately 4.2 million natural gas utility customers through its regulated distribution companies in four states with approximately 700,000 retail customers through its companies that market natural gas. Other nonutility businesses include investments in interstate pipelines, asset management for natural gas wholesale customers and ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities. For more information, visit


Media Contact: 
Mekka Parish
c: 404-387-8067 |