Skip to main content.
Lightning in night sky
Lightning in night sky

Severe Weather Safety

Before the Storm

  • Customers are encouraged to know the location of their natural gas meter.
  • Atlanta Gas Light advises customers to leave their gas meter on to maintain proper pressure in the gas piping within their homes or businesses and to prevent water from entering the lines should flooding occur. Most gas appliances have safety valves that shut off the flow of gas automatically if the pilot light goes out.
  • Your natural gas service should operate uninterrupted throughout the storm. Only Atlanta Gas Light or emergency personnel should turn the valve off. In cases of severe lightning, customers might want to unplug natural gas appliances to avoid possible electrical damage.
  • Customers are urged to report a natural gas emergency to the Atlanta Gas Light 24-hour emergency response line at 877.427.4321. The damage assessment and restoration process begins once the storm has passed and it’s safe for our crews to proceed with gathering information to determine the extent of service needs in affected areas.
Severe Weather Safety

During/Immediately After the storm

  • Natural gas is injected with a chemical odorant called mercaptan, which produces a distinctive “rotten egg” smell. If the odor of gas is present when you return to your home, immediately leave the affected area and call our 24-hour emergency response line at 877.427.4321 from a safe location. Never try to identify the source of a leak yourself.
  • If you smell gas, avoid using any potential sources of ignition, such as cell phones, cigarettes, matches, flashlights, electronic devices, motorized vehicles, light switches or landline phones. A spark could ignite natural gas and cause a fire or explosion.
  • If flooding occurs and gas appliances are - or were - submerged under water, do not try to operate the appliances.
  • During clean up and repair after a storm, avoid causing damage to the gas lines by calling 811 before digging - it's the law. This also pertains to removing downed trees as they may become entangled with natural gas lines. Calling 811 keeps you, your neighbors and your community safe.
  • Following a weather emergency, ensure the gas meter is visible and that the area surrounding the meter is free of trash and debris. Mechanical equipment used after the storm to clean up a location may damage an unseen meter. If a natural gas meter is damaged or gas line is exposed, immediately leave the area and call our 24-hour emergency response number at 877.427.4321 or dial 911.

Although rare owing to natural gas infrastructure sitting underground, if your gas service is interrupted as a result of a severe storm, restoration time depends on when water in flooded areas recedes, when customers’ homes and businesses are free of standing water, and when Atlanta Gas Light personnel can safely enter homes and businesses, and appliances are easily accessible by technicians.

Summer Safety Tips

The safety of our customers and communities is our highest priority. That’s why at all times, including when severe weather events occur, we strongly advise customers to adhere to the following guidelines associated with natural gas meters and appliances.

Appliance Safety

  • Never use natural gas appliances, such as ovens or the burners on a stove, to heat your homes or business.
  • Make sure your heating system, water heater and any other natural gas appliances are serviced and inspected annually by a qualified licensed professional.
  • Do not use any defective natural gas appliance until it has been inspected, serviced and determined to be safe by a qualified plumber or heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) professional.

Carbon Monoxide Safety

  • To ensure the safe, proper operation of natural gas appliances, such as a furnace or water heater, and to prevent the potentially hazardous buildup of carbon monoxide within your home or business, ensure that outdoor vent openings and air intakes are not obstructed by snow or ice.
  • If you smell natural gas or suspect carbon monoxide is present in your home or business, immediately leave the area and call 911 or our emergency number (1-877-427-4321) from a safe location.
  • Seek medical attention immediately if anyone in your home or business experiences possible symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, such as headache, dizziness, fatigue, nausea and vomiting.

Meter Safety

  • Know where your natural gas meter is located.
  • Following a weather emergency, ensure the gas meter is visible and the area surrounding the meter is free of trash and debris. Mechanical equipment used after the storm to clean up a location may damage the meter if it is hidden.
  • Exercise caution removing snow or ice from your natural gas meter assembly. Use your hands or a broom, not a shovel, to brush away snow or ice from your meter and regulator. Never kick or hit your gas meter or its piping with a hammer or any hard object to break away built-up snow or ice.
  • If a natural gas meter is damaged or underground gas line is exposed, immediately leave the area and call 911 or our 24-hour emergency response number (1-877-427-4321) from a safe location.

Detecting Gas Leaks

  • If you smell the rotten egg odor that is often associated with natural gas or suspect carbon monoxide is present, immediately leave the affected area and call 911 or the 24-hour emergency response line (1-877-427-4321) from a safe location.
  • Never try to identify the source of a leak yourself.
  • If the odor of natural gas is present, do not use a telephone or cellphone in the area of the odor. Do not turn light switches on or off. Do not operate any appliance or do anything that might cause a spark, such as lighting a match.

Damage Prevention

  • Heavy snow and ice may weigh down power lines and tree limbs, causing them to fall. If a natural gas meter is damaged or underground gas line is exposed, immediately leave the area and call 911 or the 24-hour emergency response line (1-877-427-4321) from a safe location.