Sniffy Says: Smell Gas? Act Fast!
Hi, kids! I’m Sniffy. As a skunk, I’m an expert in stinky odors—like the “rotten egg” type odor that’s added to natural gas. That yucky smell lets you know if there’s a possible natural gas leak.
And you know what? If you smell that stinky rotten egg odor, you’ve got to act fast! This means don’t delay—get away!
Remember these tips as you leave:
- Move a safe distance away from the area of the yucky smell.
- Don't use your cellphone or touch anything electrical, like flipping off light switches or turning off the TV — things Mom and Dad would normally have you do before you leave the house.
- Tell an adult to call Atlanta Gas Light at 877.427.4321 or 911 once you are out of the area where you smell the yucky odor. Stay away from the area until Atlanta Gas Light or emergency personnel let you know it is safe to return.
Try these fun activities to learn more about natural gas:
- Learn about natural gas in this word search
- Print my picture and color it
- Help me find my way out of this maze
- Ask your parents to help you with some amazing science experiments
Remember, If you Smell Gas, Act Fast!
Teach your whole family about what to do if they smell the rotten egg odor of natural gas. Everyone should know what to do if they think they smell a possible natural gas leak at home, school, at the mall—anywhere! Leave! Then call 877.427.4321 or 911 for help.